Tuesday, September 07, 2004

My desk

I was surfing about the 'net, and stumbled across About.com's Freelance writing section. On of the things they offer is a set of daily exercises, so I figured "I'm game" and signed up for it. The idea behind it is that every day for 15 days, you're sent a set of writing exercises -- presumably, these are fairly broad topics that can be approached by anyone, without any research. Like being back in school, except I'm actually doing it :) So, exercise one is to write about my desk. The problem is, I don't have a desk. I have a corner press (which is full of my magazines and books), with my computer sitting on top. I don't have a proper chair, so I drag the nearest armchair. Some day soon I may need to do something about that, but for the moment, I think I can safely stick to my current setup -- I can surf the net, reading my favourite news sites when I get home from work, and not worry about falling asleep. The top of this "desk" is pretty indicative of the amount of order in my life -- there is none. There are books perched on top of the computer, CDs on top of the books, an ever growing pile of rubbish behind the monitor, a stack of magazines and books beside the chair (I did say that the press is full!). The worst part of it is, most of the rubbish behind the monitor isn't even mine, so I can't junk or file most of it -- I haven't got the faintest idea what to do with most of it. Even worse is that sealed, unaddressed envelope lying between the wall and the monitor -- I don't know if it was left there for me, but I'm pretty sure that if I was to open it, all hell would break loose -- anyone who happens to use the 'net has to sit here, and generally adds to the pile of clutter. Another thing for the TODO list. I suppose that since I'm coming to the end of the time for this exercise, I should close with a resolution: if that damned envelope is still here tomorrow, I'm going to open it... once I've found a similar envelope, in case I need to reseal :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home